Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe was submitted by @subtleskeptic_ from a recipe book called The Alternative Baker. These look simply delicious!
- 8 oz zucchini
- 1 cup packed organic light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tspb sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp good quality culinary grade matcha
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- To make the cake, position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with 2 crisscrossing pieces of parchment paper. Or grease the pan with unsalted butter.
- Trim the zucchini and grate them on the medium holes of a box grater. You should have 1 cup packed grated zucchini. Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Add eggs, brown sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Place a strainer over the bowl and sift cocoa powder, sorghum flour, baking powder, and salt into the zucchini mixture, pushing through any clumps. Stir well to combine.
- Scrape batter into a prepared fan and smooth into an even layer. Bake the cake until a toothpick is inserted and comes out moist crumbs. 44-55 minutes. Let cool completely for 30 minutes to one day. Cake can be wrapped and stored for up to two days.
- To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, matcha powder, and salt in the stand of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the frosting on low speed, increasing to medium speed until light and fluffy. 2-3 minutes Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Place cake on serving board or platter and use a small offset spatula or butter knife to spread the frosting over the top and the sides making swirls as you go. The cake can sit at room temp for up to 2 hours. If not serving right away, chill for up to one day but bring to room temperature before serving to soften the frosting.