Borscht is an old traditional Eastern European soup provided by @xtrisarahtops . This wonderful recipe was created by her grandmother in law.
Note: I used enough ingredients to fill a LARGE soup pot, so I recommend eyeballing and adjusting the amount of produce to fill 1/3 of the pot.
- 1 lb beef (I used cubed sirloin tips)
- 5-8 raw beets (peeled and cubed)
- About 4 cups of little purple potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bag of chopped/shredded purple cabbage (for color)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- White vinegar
- Purple carrots, chopped
- 12 oz vegetable stock
- In a large soup pot brown the beef in some oil, salt, and pepper
- Pour in the veggie stock and fill the rest of the pot with water until 1/2 full
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the beef is no longer pink
- Saute the beets, carrots, and onion and then add to the pot.
- Stir and let simmer until the beets are a little softer
- Add the chopped potatoes
- Stir and simmer for around 20 minutes
- Add Cabbage
- Let simmer another 15-20 min
- Add crushed tomatoes and vinegar to taste
- Pour in a bowl and top with sour cream and dill (and traditionally a clove of garlic on the side and maybe some vodka! ENJOY!!!)